Washington: Reports are coming in that North Koreans are back to square one and rebuilding their Intercontinental ballistic missile sites after the Hanoi summit broke down between the United States and North Korea on February 28.
Satellite imagery suggests that their Sohae launch site is returning to normal operational status. The images reveal that work is underway to restore part of the rocket launch site.
North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Un had used this site to launch satellites in 2012 and 2016.
The United States President Donald Trump expressed his dismay when asked about the new development. He said, “I would be very disappointed if that were happening.”
However, he quickly added that it is a very early report.
The North Korean move comes after the failure of the much hyped recent Hanoi Summit held in Vietnam. The world community had put great hopes in a peaceful resolution of the missile crisis between the two nations, especially after the success of the first ever bilateral talks between the US and North Korea in Singapore last year.
Donald Trump said that the Hanoi Summit failed because the US could not agree to North Koreans demand to a complete lifting of sanctions.
Analysts believe that Kim Jong Un, by restarting his missile program, is trying to pressurize the US into striking a deal favourable to the North Koreans.
No one knows how the US will react to Kim’s tactic. If the two nations decide not to lower the tensions, then the world will be witnessing another nuclear crisis on the horizon.